A Playbook for HTM Operational Excellence
By Gus Guevara and David Meyer
Are you looking to improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of your healthcare technology management (HTM) program? An optimized HTM is a critical aspect of improved patient outcomes and lower clinical technology management costs. Whether your current program is in-house or outsourced, making sure you have the right systems and teams in place is a big undertaking.
To help you make the best decisions for your facility, TKA has developed Operational Excellence in Healthcare Technology Management: A playbook for optimizing your HTM program. When you’re talking about making sure life-saving medical devices are ready and working – and a specialty field where high life cycle costs are estimated at $93 billion annually – it helps to have advice on what to consider at every stage of this process.
Based on our deep front-line experience, here’s what we encourage you to think about:
- Assessing the Need to Outsource HTM: We start by talking about potential gains from outside partners, which your hospital probably leverages for non-clinical services (such as food services). That’s because they have specialty expertise beyond your core service of medical care. An HTM partner delivers experienced professionals and leading industry practices and – while also helping you save money.
- Attributes of a High-Performing HTM: At this stage, consider if your potential partner aligns with your mission and follows best practices. Be sure to equally evaluate the process side (their documentation and maintenance strategies) and the people side (how the biomed teams build relationships with providers and help shape hospital policy).
- Side-by-Side Process for Implementing an HTM Program: Here’s where the hard work gets underway. Our playbook arms you with important checklists and timelines to help your transition go as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
- Anticipating Pitfalls when Engaging an HTM Provider: Over the years, we’ve learned where things can go astray, including scope creep and a lack of strategic planning. We’ll provide you with smart proactive tactics to keep things on track.
- Monitoring and Reporting Outcomes: Now you can start reaping the benefits of your decision. Once you’ve got a system in place to monitor your program’s effectiveness, we share best practices for how your program can ultimately become an advocate for better patient care.
- Focus on Continuous Improvement to Meet Emerging Challenges: This is a dynamic journey, as we discuss in closing. Your HTM team needs to stay on top of an ever-changing industry, as they ensure your equipment is clean, working and ready to deliver best-in-class patient care.
Ready to make the first step in this process? You can get a good overview by reviewing our Operational Excellence in Healthcare Technology Management: A playbook for optimizing your HTM program. Download the complete playbook – and let’s get started together.
At TKA, we do it better, make it easier, and deliver more to maximize your results and give you a competitive edge.
That’s the smarter way. Partner smart with TKA.